Saturday 19 April 2014

Readers’ Comments

23Thursday, 28 November 2013 14:58
Tom Sloper

Odd that it took surveillance to catch him. The other players must be slacking if they're not noticing that he wins with only 12 tiles.

22Tuesday, 11 September 2012 10:29
cor Hoogland
I hope is not an automatic one
21Wednesday, 24 August 2011 18:32
N.C
Ohhhh I can't beleive it !

I'm in Toscane too !! Close Siena.
I wondered to improve my gaming during my holidays but I can't found player...

This news is funny indeed :)
20Tuesday, 31 May 2011 12:34
Salm
Is it a Closers / People News ?
19Thursday, 13 January 2011 07:38
Mahjong News
You may be right - or not.
That is also why, in these trivial news stories, I usually give the link to the original article, so my readers will have a general idea about how trustful the source is.

See also the discussion here.

Men charged with mahjong gambling

JOHOR BARU (Malaysia) - Seven men who pleaded guilty to playing mahjong, made everyone smile when they told a magistrate that they were old and merely playing to pass time.
Lim Hock Seng, 66, Low Chaw Whay, 48, Teong Liong Tee 59, Goh Lay Keng, 64, Tay Moi Tee and Ma Mong Tiong, both 54, and Singaporean Lim Ah Yeow, 52, were charged with gambling illegally by playing mahjong with cash bets.

They had allegedly committed the offence at a restaurant along Jalan Dato Sulaiman in Taman Abad at about 4.45pm on Jan 31.
Their offence is classified under Section 6(1) of the Open Gambling House Act 1953 as carrying out illegal gambling activities, which carries the sentence of not more than RM5,000 fine or not more than six month imprisonment or both.
Magistrate Nor Shahid Abd Malik sentenced them to RM1,000 fine each (approx. 150 USD).
They could also face one-month in prison should they fail to settle the fine.

(The Star Online)

Comments (1)Comments are closed
1Monday, 19 April 2010 05:53
C.K.LEE
Is mahjong illegal in malaysia?
Thursday, 06 May 2010 12:03
Gareth Saunders
I looked up the "Laws of Malaysia - Act 289 - Common Gaming Houses Act 1953"
which defines gaming as:
=== QUOTE ===
"gaming" with its grammatical variations and ognate expressions means the playing of any game of chance or of mixed chance and skill for money or money's worth and includes the playing of any game specified in Column I of the First and Second Schedules and the playing or operation of any gaming machine;
=== END ===

Mahjong isn't specifically mentioned in "Column I of the First and Second Schedules" but "Jin Rummy" is which is pretty close. However, I imagine that the exact game played isn't the point, it's that it's any game of chance played in a public place that is bet upon for money (or similar).

There's an interesting thread about it here.

Search that page for "03-02-2006 01:01 PM" to find a really useful post.

Hope that's of help.